Citroen C8 brake fluid leaking?
Certain components of your vehicle are essential for its proper operation, and if we want to be really precise, essential for your safety and that of other users. Your braking mechanism is one of them, and if there is one component that must be in good working order, it is this one. When you start to encounter brake problems, it is important to take care of them without delay, which is why our editorial team has put together this guide on brake fluid leaks on Citroen C8, in order to help you approach this inconvenience in the right way and deal with it without delay. In this context, we will first look at the purpose of brake fluid, then, what are the causes of a brake fluid leak on your Citroen C8, and, thirdly, how to repair such a leak.
What is the purpose of the brake fluid on a Citroen C8?
We therefore start our guide by briefly explaining the role of this famous brake fluid in the braking mechanism of your Citroen C8. In order to fully understand, a brake mechanism works with a closed hydraulic circuit, i.e. you will have rigid hoses filled with brake fluid which are pressurized by the master cylinder, and in the event that you go press your brake pedal, your brake fluid will compress and will cause your brake calipers to work so that they pinch the brake pads on your discs. It is therefore necessary that you always have the correct level of brake fluid on your Citroen C8, in the event that you do not know how to do this, take a look at our guide on this subject.
Causes of a brake fluid leak on Citroen C8
We now move on to a more interesting part to help you better understand the reasons why you are the victim of a brake fluid leak on your Citroen C8
What are the causes of a brake fluid leak on a Citroen C8?
We will first tell you about the different possible causes for the leak of your Citroen C8. Here they are below:
- This is one of the most classic reasons, following a addict one of the hoses has cracked and therefore you lose brake fluid and pressure through this orifice.
- Master cylinder problem: A damaged master cylinder on a Citroen C8 can cause leaks on one or more inlets or outlets.
- Badly screwed bleed screw: Most often this happens if the brakes have been bleed recently, and it is generally badly tightened.
- Deficient wheel cylinder: Only equipped on drum brakes, this component can leak and cause braking imbalance.
What to do to spot a brake fluid leak on Citroen C8?
We are now going to give you the various tips and signs to interpret to check that you have a brake fluid leak on your Citroen C8, find them below:
- Brake warning light: In the event that the ABS warning light on your Citroen C8 is on, you will have to check the condition of your circuit without delay, plan to read our dedicated guide to have all the procedures to carry out.
- Imbalance when braking If your Citroen C8 pulls to the left or to the right when you brake, you may be the victim of a brake fluid leak.
- A soft brake pedal: This is one of the easiest warning signs to interpret, if you notice that your pedal is really easier to compress and that it takes time to return to its initial position, it is very likely that you have a loss of pressure in your circuit. braking.
- Notice brake fluid on the tires or in the engine block: It may seem obvious, but if you find brake fluid on one of these elements, you must have a leak because this circuit is supposed to be closed.
The procedure to repair a brake fluid leak on Citroen C8?
The only option when you experience a brake fluid leak on your Citroen C8 is to take your Citroen C8 to your garage. If it is small, check your level carefully and drive very carefully to the garage, if it is too high, do not drive and have your vehicle towed. Indeed, a general breakdown of your brake mechanism will lead to an accident. You can still carry out some regular checks to limit the risks:
- Check the brake fluid level frequently
- Bleed your brakes every 2 years or 40 km
- Replace the brake fluid if you feel that the brakes of your Citroen C8 are becoming “soft”