How to instal trailer hitch electrical Citroen Xantia ?
Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is pretty handy. In this article, we will describe the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Citroen Xantia . In actual fact, regardless if the installation procedure is not difficult, it is required to explain some details to consider this work without any issue. Firstly, we will discover what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch contains, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Citroen Xantia .
What’s the wiring harness for a Citroen Xantia hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Citroen Xantia?
So we will start our content page by explaining the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Citroen Xantia. In order to understand how it works, you must already understand its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is important and earlier all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain requirements, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Citroen Xantia . We will focus on this in this article, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Citroen Xantia, please discover our content page on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Citroen Xantia?
We will now quickly describe how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Citroen Xantia. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Citroen Xantia trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be identified on all Citroen Xantia hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions necessary for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will locate a plug for each objective (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Citroen Xantia: This plug system is principally used for caravans that require 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This type of connection necessitates the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Citroen Xantia?
To conclude this content page, we will quickly describe you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Citroen Xantia .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Citroen Xantia?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Citroen Xantia, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We advise you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be accomplished:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Citroen Xantia to access the rear light unit.
- Find the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Citroen Xantia?
For recent Citroen Xantias, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will locate particular ones for your Citroen Xantia and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Citroen Xantia so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Citroen Xantia and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk properly.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Citroen Xantia?
Finally, to conclude this content page we will quickly describe you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Citroen Xantia . To achieve this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that means your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Citroen Xantia, do not hesitate to consult our Citroen Xantia category.