How to change brake pads of my Mercedes Classe E 5 ?
Modern cars require always more maintenance, on the other hand, there are some more or less important ones. Today, we will concentrate on a maintenance action that is vital to assure your security at the wheel of your car. In reality, we are gonna explain to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Mercedes Classe E 5? For this, in a first step, we are going to find out why it is important to change the brake pads of your car, in a second part, we are going to find out what is the technique to change the brake pads of your Mercedes Classe E 5, and to conclude, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Mercedes Classe E 5?
Before we find out how to change the brake pads of your car, we will start our content by explaining you what the role of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Role of the brake pads on Mercedes Classe E 5
The brake pads on an car have a essential purpose in the proper handling of your Mercedes Classe E 5. In reality, they are the ones that will assure braking efficiency. They are a types of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Mercedes Classe E 5. These auto parts are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them on a regular basis to keep ideal braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Mercedes Classe E 5?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you need to change the brake pads of your Mercedes Classe E 5. Take notice that dependant on the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In reality, if you use your brakes frequently, their lifespan will undoubtedly be lowered. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a car have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. However, there are some signs that should notify you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, browse our content on brake vibration on Mercedes Classe E 5, to find the source of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not be reluctant to check the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by getting rid of the front wheels and verifying their condition, or by going directly to a workshop.
How to change the brake pads of my Mercedes Classe E 5?
We will now go forward to the part you are most interested in, how to change the brake pads from your Mercedes Classe E 5?. Down below we will explain the steps to follow to change the brake pads of your car properly:
- Purchase brake pads adapted to your Mercedes Classe E 5, to accomplish this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your car when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Remove the wheels in question.
- Before getting rid of the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to change the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you remove the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely remove the two old pads and change them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Be certain they are in the correct placement before you re-install the brake calipers on your Mercedes Classe E 5.
- Make sure to end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, think that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very cautiously the first 100km and be cautious until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to change the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Mercedes Classe E 5?
Finally, last part of our content on the process to change the brake pads of your Mercedes Classe E 5. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. According to the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, on the other hand, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you want more tutorials on the Mercedes Classe E 5, go to our Mercedes Classe E 5 category.