How To Replace A Volkswagen Side Mirror
Do you have a broken side mirror on your Volkswagen? A side mirror replacement at a shop will set you back hundreds of dollars. So you might be thinking about taking care of the replacement yourself.
We have good news: it’s pretty easy to replace the side mirror yourself! This tutorial will:
- Show you how to save a lot of money on an OEM replacement side mirror
- Walk you through the replacement process
How To Get Major Savings On An OEM Replacement Side Mirror
When shopping for a replacement side mirror for your Volkswagen, you have two options:
- Buy a replacement mirror from a Volkswagen dealership
- Order a replacement mirror online
The second option is so much cheaper than the first option. Dealerships impose an insane markup on their parts. You would pay about 30% more for a replacement side mirror at a dealership as opposed to online.
If you shop online, you’ll find some pretty incredible deals on OEM replacement side mirrors. In fact, it’s pretty hard to beat our prices. At VW Parts Vortex, we offer wholesale pricing for all OEM VW parts and accessories, including side mirrors.
Replacing Your VW Side Mirror
The replacement process varies a bit between models. The general idea is to remove the side mirror bolts inside the door, and then bolt in the new mirror. Sometimes you would need to remove the door panel to get to the side mirror bolts. It’s a good idea to find a model specific tutorial.
We put together a tutorial for the Jetta model. The steps may vary based on what year Jetta you have, but the process should generally still be the same.
Tools That Will Make This Job Much Easier
You need a few basic tools to replace your Jetta’s side mirror(s). Here’s a complete list of recommended tools:
- Flat head screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- T20 Torx screwdriver or ratchet with an extension and a T20 bit
- T45 Torx screwdriver or ratchet with an extension and a T45 bit
The Side Mirror Replacement Process
Here’s how you can replace the side mirror on your Volkswagen Jetta:
- Open the driver’s side door.
- Carefully pry the door handle panel inside the pull handle.
- Lift the mirror switch console from the arm rest.
- Disconnect the panel.
- Remove the 3 Phillips screws from inside the hole.
- At the bottom of the door panel, there are 3 T20 screws. Remove those.
- Remove the Phillips screw on the top right of the door panel.
- You should now be able to remove the door panel. Remove it gently.
- Disconnect all the connectors attached to the door panel.
- There’s a T20 screw underneath the triangular panel that’s covering the mirror bracket. Remove it.
- Now you can see the T45 bolts holding the side mirror in place. Remove those.
- Remove the old side mirror from the car.
- Install the new side mirror in the reverse order of removal.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have about the replacement process.
or check out OEM VW side mirrors for more info.