Volkswagen Polo Owners Manual: Start/stop system
Fig. 119 In the upper part of the centre console: button for the start/stop system
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warningsвЂ‰
If the start/stop system is activated, the engine will be switched off automatically when the vehicle is stationary. When required, the engine restarts automatically.
The function is automatically activated every time the ignition is switched on. The instrument cluster display will show information about the current status.
Always switch off the start/stop system manually when driving through water.
Vehicles with a manual gearbox
- When the vehicle is stationary, disengage the gear and release the clutch pedal. The engine is stopped.
- Depress the clutch pedal to restart the engine.
Vehicles with an automatic gearbox
- When the vehicle is stationary, press and hold the brake pedal. The engine is stopped.
- To restart the engine, remove your foot from the brake pedal or depress the accelerator in selector lever position P.
Important preconditions for automatic engine switch-off
- The driver is wearing their seat belt.
- The driver door is closed.
- The bonnet is closed.
- The factory-fitted towing bracket is not attached electrically to a trailer.
- A minimum engine temperature has been reached.
- The vehicle has been moved since the engine was last switched off.
- For vehicles with Climatronic: the temperature inside the vehicle is within the pre-set temperature range.
- For vehicles with Climatronic: neither a very high nor a very low temperature has been set.
- The defrost function of the air conditioning system is not switched on.
- For vehicles with Climatronic: a high blower level has not been selected manually.
- The charging state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.
- The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.
- The vehicle is not on a steep incline.
- The front wheels are not turned greatly.
- Reverse gear is not engaged.
Conditions for an automatic restart
The engine can start automatically under the following conditions:
- If the temperature inside the vehicle substantially increases or decreases.
- If the vehicle rolls on.
- If the voltage of the vehicle battery falls.
Conditions that make a key start necessary
The engine has to be started manually with the vehicle key in the following conditions:
- If the driver unfastens their seat belt.
- If the driver door is opened.
- If the bonnet is opened.
Switching the start/stop system on and off manually
- Press the button in the centre console вЂ‰.
- If start/stop system has been deactivated, the indicator lamp in the button lights up.
If the start/stop system has switched the engine off, the engine will start again as soon as the system has been switched off manually with the button.
The brake servo and the steering will not function if the engine is switched off.
- Never allow the vehicle to roll if the engine is switched off.
- The start/stop system must be switched off if work is to be carried out in the engine compartment.
If the start/stop system is used in very high outside temperatures over a long period, the vehicle battery can be damaged.
In some cases, it will be necessary to restart the engine manually with the vehicle key. Follow any corresponding messages on the instrument cluster display.
Hill Hold Assist
Fig. 88 In the luggage compartment: fastening rings First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings You will find fastening rings at the front and rear of the luggage compartment which can be used to secure luggage (arrow). WARNING Unsuitable or damaged securing s .
Fig. 120 In the rear bumper: ParkPilot ultrasound sensors First read and observe the introductory information and safety warningsвЂ‰The ParkPilot uses ultraound sensors to determine the distance between the rear bumper and an obstacle. There are 4 ultrasound sensors in the rear bumper вЂ‰ .
Odor from Evaporator or Heat Exchanger?
Fishy smell вЂ“ From leak at cooling system of engine or of A/C system heater core. Note If the fishy smell gets weaker when the temperature is set to вЂњcoldвЂќ and stronger when i .